Entrepreneur @ upcoming Startup, Information Technology and Services
Hi there! I'm Florian Raber, a tech enthusiast, entrepreneur & traveler - enjoying good life, Central Europe & photography!
Florian Raber's Bio:
I'm currently incubating a tourism/GIS startup, which should come up by EOY 2016 - keep posted on florianraber.com/blog ! ;-)
In my private life, I'm a traveler, touring across Europe more than 100 days per year. I'm particularly fond of Central Europe (Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovenia and the Balkans) and speak 6 languages, 4 of which fluently.
I'm also kind of a history geek and a gastronomy afficionado: I enjoy cooking, baking & brewing for my pals.
I volunteer in the French Civil Security service: missions range from emergency response during natural disasters, to delivering food & blankets to drivers stuck on the highway during heavy snowfall - or simply translating an urgent request from an injured tourist who doesn't speak English or French.
Florian Raber's Experience:
Geographic Analyst II at HEREApril 2015 - October 2016 | Metz, France
Promoted in 2015, I'm deepening my involvement in the maintenance & expansion of the HERE navigation map, while sharpening skills in the field of Innovation (development & sharing of Best Practices, Innovation Ideas) and Community-building around the HERE Map Creator tool which allows end-users to contribute to our mapping effort. http://mapcreator.here.com
Geographic Analyst I at HERE, a Nokia companyDecember 2013 - April 2015 | Metz, France
I'm a GIS Analyst in charge of maintaining our HERE Map up-to-date with everyday changes in the road network, and expand it with new attributes. HERE is the leading location cloud, providing the map for 90% in-dash GPS devices, major websites (Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft Bing, ...) and smartphone apps (Android, iOS, Windows Phone). Since the world changes on a daily basis, we strive to keep our leading Real-World Index up-to-date. Within this strategy, I'm involved with: • Sourcing: building strong bonds with national & municipal administrations to keep up with roadworks • Community-building: raising, training and managing communities of passionate amateur cartographers who wish to contribute to the best-in-class navigation map. • Geospatial analysis & GIS coding in the HERE mapping database • Quality: Quality-in-the-Line, QC & QQ, Agile & Lean management • Training: We're most trained team of cartographers in the world, and that involves daily on-the-job Learning as well as formal skill assessment every year.
Research Engineer at GEOBIO LabJanuary 2013 - October 2013 | Prague, Czech Republic
• Field-monitoring & ecological assessment of the Krkonoše National Park (Czech Republic) in order to evaluate the ecosystemal invasion of the Norway Spruce (Picea albies) • Processed aerial imagery data through supervised & non-supervised classification (Exelis ENVI 5.0 + IDL) after preprocessing (PCI Geomatica 2012, GoldenSoftware Surfer 9). • Established management scenarios which the Managing Authority of the National Park used to adjust its ecological management style.
Supervisor of Scientific Redaction at EUCOR - Network of the Upper Rhine UniversitiesSeptember 2012 - December 2012 | Strasbourg, France
• Directed the redaction process of the Conference Proceedings of the 5th Environmental Sciences Summer School of the EUCOR research network • Overviewed the work of the different contributors and aggregated their productions • Wrote several chapters of the aforementioned Proceedings
Associate Researcher at Laboratoire GEODE UMR 5602 CNRSApril 2012 - December 2012 | Toulouse, France
1st-year Master research thesis: “Quantifying the evolution of the Réart river delta (Pyrénées-Orientales, Southwestern France) since the end of the XVIIth century – Respective roles of the anthropic impacts & climatic evolution”
Seminar organizer & Lecturer at Groupement SONATE - Université de StrasbourgOctober 2012 - October 2012 | Strasbourg, France
• Organized the annual seminar of the SONATE research group (Societies, Nature, Environments) of the University of Strasbourg (France) on the subject of "Resiliences - Resistances - Adaptations". • Held a conference entitled "Agricultural resilience of the Post-Little Ice Age societies in the Vosges mountain range : between the medieval demographic crisis & the anthropoclimatic crisis of the Little Ice Age"
Assistant Project Manager (intern) at Center for Territorial Development, Litija, SloveniaJuly 2011 - September 2011 | Litija, Slovenia
• Created and filled a database of all the rural and natural sites worthy of the newly-created label "Heart of Slovenia - Srce Slovenije" promoting sustainable rural tourism
Waiter at French Restaurant 'Le Cruchon'February 2009 - May 2011 | Strasbourg, France
Welcoming & attending guests, collecting orders. Advising & serving the wine.
Trainee MEP Assistant at Permanent Representation of the UK to the Council of EuropeJuly 2008 - September 2008 | Strasbourg, France
• Animated the Environmental Workshop at the Council of Europe Open Doors Day • Managed funds and created the event webpage: http://europa.eu/festivalofeurope • Produced a series of trilingual booklets (FR, EN, DE) presenting the event and the European Institution
Assistant Translator at Council of EuropeJuly 2008 - August 2008 | Strasbourg, France
Undertook translation work of booklets and web content for the Council of Europe, in French, English and German languages.
Florian Raber's Education:
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science2013 – 2013Masters of Science (Erasmus)Concentration: Physical Geography & Geo-ecologyActivities: Erasmus language exchange club
University of Strasbourg, Faculty of Geography & Urban Planning2011 – 2013Masters of ScienceConcentration: Environmental Geography & GIS
EUCOR - Network of the Upper Rhine Universities2012 – 20125th Summer School in Environmental SciencesConcentration: Risk management related to extreme natural events, the case of floods
University of Ljubljana, Slovenia2011 – 2011Summer School in Management of Environmental ResourcesConcentration: Management of Environmental Resources
Earth Sciences School & Observatory (EOST), Strasbourg, France2008 – 2011Bachelor of ScienceConcentration: Earth & Environmental Science
EUCOR - Network of the Upper Rhine Universities2010 – 20104th Summer School in Environmental SciencesConcentration: Sustainable Land Management
Florian Raber's Interests & Activities:
technology, web, startup, entrepreneurship, gis, geography, environment, nature, travel, central europe, slovenia, balkans, food, gastronomy